Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Effective Communicators


The individual that I selected as being an effective communicator is my Mom. Although retired, my mother still coordinates events on a voluntary or free-lance basis. There are several behaviors that my Mom exhibits that allow her to be an effective communicator is this setting. Not only does she listen to others comments and feedback, she also organizes her thoughts prior to speaking, speaks clearly, and provides instruction that is direct and easy to follow. Some additional behavior that my Mom exhibits in the communication process is patience, compassion, and positive non-verbal communications.

Naturally, I do want to model some of my communication behaviors after my Mom. One reason for this is because children always have a natural tendency to imitate a parent that they admire. A second reason is that my most is a skilled communicator and I have observed the effectiveness of her behaviors inside and outside of the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment