Saturday, October 29, 2011

Professional Hopes and Goals


One hope that I have when I think about working with children and families from diverse backgrounds if that they would give me an opportunity to know more about their culture and backgrounds so I can incorporate any challenges or relevant factors into the social stories that I create for them.

What goal that I would like to set for the field of early childhood in regards to diversity, equity, and social justice is for professionals to make a more earnest effort to eliminate microaggresisms from the curriculum and to overcome the barriers that can be created as a result of “isms”.

Finally, I would like to say “Thank You” to everyone in their group for their excellent blog posts, their willingness to share their personal and professional experiences, and the thoughtful comments that I have received on my blog.

  

1 comment:

  1. Mary,
    I think that the use of social stories is an excellent way of teaching and incorporating lessons of diversity and equity in early childhood. In my experiences I have found that most people are open to discussing and sharing about themselves when there is interest being shown. I hope that you reach all of your goals that you have set before you. Good luck in your next course.

    ReplyDelete