Saturday, November 19, 2011

Communication with Cultural Diverse Population


Prior to this class and this week, I was under the impression that I communicated the same to all individuals from different groups and cultures. However, after paying more attention to my actions and communications in light of this week’s lessons, I have come to the realization that I do communicate different towards individuals that are from diverse populations other than my own.

When I communicate with individuals like me or within my cultural group, I have a tendency to be more relaxed, informal, not as cautious, and much less observant. However, when communication with individuals of different cultural groups, religious groups, political affiliations, age groups etc.; I have the tendency to be more formal, moral observant, and more cautious on what I am saying and how I communicate with them. This is mostly because I am fully aware that some communication differences may exist as a result of these differences. I am more formal so I will not offend these groups or individuals. I am more cautious and observant in order to pick on non-verbal cues that can provide me with information as to how these individuals wish to be communicated with. I believe that these responses have allowed me to communicate more effectively with diverse populations and limited miscommunications within conversations. 

5 comments:

  1. Mary,

    We all communicate different with cultural groups we are not familiar with. I am guilty of being more cautious and respectful. On the other hand, with my family I feel more comfortable and relax because communication do not have to be perfect. In other words, I can be myself without any pressure of offending anyone while communicating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    This week I paid much more attention to my interactions with people of my culture or of a different culture and found it very interesting that I felt much more relaxed in situations where we were alike, as you had stated. I wonder if it was because of how focused I was that I did not ever notice just how cautious I was when choosing my words and interactions with people from different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    I am so much in the same boat as you. I really had no idea that I communicated differently with other people either. It is something that I never thought about until this class. This revelation is making me more self aware of the things I do and say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary,
    I would have to agree with everyone else that I do communicate differently among family and friends. I know have known this for a while but I do catch myself some times when I am among colleagues for children.

    ReplyDelete