Saturday, November 26, 2011

Communication Insights


After this one, it has been confirmed, if there the one thing that I am…it is judgmental.  This quality has had a lot of negative connotations. However, positive connotations can be associated with this trait as well. Because I do not discriminate in my judgments, I have the ability to judge myself pretty accurately. As  a result of this, there were hardly any differences between my communication assessment and those completed by others.  This in itself was the thing that surprised me those most this week. Another thing that surprised me is that my facial expressions do not always match my intent or verbal communications.

There were two insights that were gained this week. The first insight is that perceptions hold a tremendous amount of power in the communication process. The second insight that was gained this week is that first impressions are largely based off of personal past experiences. 

3 comments:

  1. Mary,

    I believe being judgmental is something that we are all guilty of. Also, first impressions are based off of personal past experiences. I know when I completed my discussion question this week, I based my assumptions from someone I saw in a doctor's office. This week assignments have taught me that first impressions are not reliable and being judgmental is wrong, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary wasn't it surprising to see some of the results from the assessments we completed this week. One assessment that was surprising to me was my results from the from the verbal aggressiveness assessment. According to my score I am with little provocation I may cross the line from argumentativeness. That is so out of character for me so that is something that stirred my curiosity. I now know that I must be careful with my choice of words so that I do not say things that are offensive to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    I think you did a lot better than me when you did your evaluations. It seems to me like, I am centered around me and everyone is second, although these are not my intentions, I think some of the outcome of the assessment were more of assumptions and based on my facial expression, which I know at times gets me in trouble but oh well.

    ReplyDelete