Saturday, December 3, 2011

Week 5 Overcoming Conflict


I have a tendency to be judgmental and at times speak before I think. As a result of this, I can occasionally hurt the feelings of others without even intending to. My judgmental tendencies and blatant have also allowed me to be perceived as being insensitive.  I guess I could be called the Simon Cowell of Early Childhood. I have learned to control this behavior in my professional life, but still struggle to do so in my personal life. Two strategies that I have learned to avoid or resolve this type of conflict in my professional life is to think before I speak and put myself in the other person’s shoes to better understand their point of view and to be less judgmental.

After reviewing this week readings, I believe that I should place a stronger emphasis on respect in my personal life. I could also resolve some of my personal conflicts by getting into the habit of applying the same strategies that I use in my professional life in my personal life.

It may be a little bit of work at first, however, I belief that it time it will become second nature to me and allow for less conflict or misunderstandings in my personal life.


3 comments:

  1. Mary,

    I believe that you are judging yourself to harshly. Calling yourself Simon Cromwell of Early Childhood is going over the top. With family members,I tend to be truthful,but this does not mean that I am insensitive. Being respectful is the key to solving most conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I agree with your post. This goes back to treating others like you would like to be treated. Even though you do not intentionally try to be hurtful to others. It is good that you identify the problem and is willing to take necessary measures to change this behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    I would have to agree with you, I think that it is very important to know and learn the process of treating others the way you want to treated. However, I would have to agree with Nequiatuia that you identified the problem and resolved the issue in a timely manner.

    ReplyDelete